Just back from the Mobile 2.0 Conference in Barcelona - wow - what a great event! It was brilliant to be able to hang out with other mobile people from around the world and listen to a load of great talks, presentations and panels. The event was brilliantly organized and I think everyone got a load out of it.
Highlights for me were:
- brilliant group of people there ranging from one or two man iphone development teams to CEOs of the biggest mobile startups to representatives from Vodafone and other bigger companies
- some great presentations from the likes of Skyhook Wireless, Future Platforms and Nokia
- the smaller Developer Day which made a great complement to the main conference the day after
- pitches from some great new startups like Distimo, Pikkoo, Layar and Zensify
- friendly and positive atmosphere - was great to forget the recession and doom and gloom for a while and be around people working in an industry with some sort of growth prospects
- the food and drink was great - breakfast pastries every morning and a wonderful lunch at the main conference
- venues were good - Barcelona Activa and ESADE were both brilliant spaces
Some of the key themes included:
- Mobile widgets / web apps have moved forward significantly but still suffer from fragmentation in terms of standards
- Location really starting to take-off with the data from the use of location services emerging as something really valuable when combined with demographic and other segmentation info
- Operators starting to open up with the launch of improved developer programs, APIs and their own app stores
- Business models not evolving as fast as the technological possibilities and consumer take-up...
I'll be blogging some of my notes from the conference here and you can find stuff with the m20eu tag on slideshare and twitter.